Raleigh: (919) 208-2922 Greenville: (252) 689-6486

Adult Lessons

Carolina Road has taught adults of all ages. We understand the needs of adults and have the patience to make this experience a fun learning environment. Our instructors have a calming effect on the students so they can achieve the skill level needed to be a safe and responsible driver.

For behind the wheel sessions, our instructor will pick you up from a location of your choice – school, home, work, etc. We will also drop you back off at that location. There is no additional charge for this service.

We have background in teaching students from various countries and have had great success in obtaining their license. All adults MUST obtain a leaner’s permit before driving instruction begins. Adults must go to the local Department of Motor Vehicles office to take the written permit exam. Anyone who is taking the permit test should study the NCDMV handbook before going to the Department of Motor Vehicles to take the test.

When adults are ready to go to the Department of Motor Vehicles to apply for the license, they must have the following items: Proof of residency, proof of age and identity, proof of liability insurance, and a social security card.

Proof of residency can be proven by bringing any document issued by the State of North Carolina or the federal government, an apartment lease, housing contract, mortgage statement, or utility bill.

Proof of age and identity includes providing your full name and date of birth. You will need to bring two documents that have this information on it. Below are items accepted for proof of identity.

  1. Valid, unexpired Driver License or State-Issued Identification Card from another state, Puerto Rico, a U.S. territory, or a Canadian province.
  2. Certified or original birth certificate.
  3. Original Social Security card.
  4. Official North Carolina School Registration records signed by a school official and Diplomas issued by North Carolina schools, including secondary schools, community colleges, colleges and universities.
  5. Unexpired U.S. Military Identification, including DD-2, DD-214, Common Access Card, and U.S. Military Dependents Card.
  6. Valid, unexpired Passport from any nation.
  7. Certified marriage certificate from a Register of Deeds or appropriate government agency in the United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. territories or Canada.
  8. Limited Driving Privilege issued by North Carolina.
  9. Valid, unexpired documents issued by the U.S. Bureau of Immigration Services (BIS) formerly known as Immigration & Naturalization Service (INS).
  10. Court documents from U.S. jurisdiction, Puerto Rico, U.S. territories or Canada.
  11. U.S. Veterans Universal Access Card.

Proof of liability insurance includes providing insurance documents such as a DMV form DL-123, an original liability insurance policy binder, or an insurance card with your name, policy number, or an insurance card with your name, policy number, issue, and expiration date.

The social security card requirement requires all applicants to present the Department of Motor Vehicles with a valid social security card. If you are not eligible for a social security card, you must provide documentation issued by the United States Government indicating legal presence.

Please note: Payment for licenses at the Department of Motor Vehicle Driver License Offices are limited to cash or personal checks drawn on a North Carolina bank or on out-of-state banks having a branch in North Carolina.


Socialize With Us